CYPRESS, CA – After upsetting Riverside City College on their home court last Thursday, the Cypress College men's tennis team needed a home victory over Saddleback College to cap off the regular season with a share of the 2018 Orange Empire Conference Title. The Chargers were ready for the challenge, sweeping the Gauchos 9-0 to clinch their first OEC Title since 2011.
"It means a lot to the men's tennis program and the College to bring home a men's tennis title for the first time in seven years," said first year Head Coach Jordan Gobatie. "I couldn't be more proud of this group. The way this team supported each other and the way they believed is why I do what I do."
Men's Tennis will enter postseason play with an overall record of 11-5 and a 9-1 record in OEC play, with their only loss coming in their first matchup with RCC. With equivalent 9-1 OEC records, the Chargers will share the Conference Title with the Tigers.
"Even though we are incredibly happy about the OEC Title, this team understands that the ultimate goal is to fight for that State Title," said Coach Gobatie. "There are some really good teams ahead that we can compete with and we look forward to giving it everything we have."
1) Hagon/Wennerholm (CYP) def. Fabre/Ozerets (SAD) 8-1
2) Remmerswaal/De Wilder (CYP) def. Bloom/Torcaso (SAD) 8-4
3) Fragalle/Simon (CYP) def. Henry/Ludwig (SAD) 8-2
1) Simon (CYP) def. Fabre (SAD) 6-0, 6-0
2) Wennerholm (CYP) def. Bloom (SAD) 6-1, 6-0
3) Remmerswaal (CYP) def. Ozerets (SAD) 6-1, 6-0
4) De Wilder (CYP) def. Torcaso (SAD) 6-1, 6-2
5) Fragalle (CYP) def. Brischoff (SAD) 6-0, 6-0
6) Bella (CYP) def. Henry (SAD) 6-2, 6-0
Stay connected with the Chargers through social media. Follow Cypress College Athletics on Twitter @CypressChargers. Check in with the Chargers on Facebook/CypressChargers and on Instagram @CypressChargers.